Educational Psychology

Educational Psychology Minor

The Educational Psychology minor is designed to allow students from many disciplines to explore child, adolescent, and adult development, concerns, and opportunities. Coursework includes consideration of the dynamics of learning and motivation in informal settings and traditional and non-traditional school settings. Educational policy and program evaluation courses provide students a larger framework within which to consider and assess programs relevant to youth and their well-being. The Educational Psychology minor supports students who seek careers in educational, health, and non-profit settings.

Develop an understanding of complex cognitive, social, and motivational influences on learning, behavior, and mental health
Apply theories of human development to understand differences in learning that can inform instructional practices
Apply research to assess and improve educational and other learning situations in the areas of education, health, sports, community, and non-profit settings

Sample Courses

This 18-unit minor requires a minimum of 9 upper division (300-400 level) units. Through this program, you will take courses from top scholars in a variety of subjects, including:

  • EDP 200*: Evolution and Human Development (3 units)
  • EDP 301*: Educational Psychology and Child & Adolescent Development (3 units)
  • EDP 314*: Learning in Informal Setting (3 units)
  • EDP 403: Preadolescent & Adolescent Development (3 units)
  • EDP 405*: Public Education in the US: Policy & Practice (3 units)

*Courses offered online and in-person

Learn more about specific course requirements.


The program will prepare students for a variety of professional roles, including careers as an educational specialist, educational/vocational counselor, instructional specialist, academic advisor, and social service caseworker.

Contact Us

For more information about this minor, visit Academic Advising or call 520-621-7865 to set up an appointment with a College of Education advisor. Please complete the College of Education Minor Declaration Form to declare this minor.