Transfer Students

Transform lives at the College of Education, where teaching and leading begin!

Transfer students: Are you considering a career in teaching, ASL interpreting, or serving your local community as a professional in an educational setting? You’ll find what you need at the College of Education. We look forward to welcoming you into the Wildcat family! 

And if you are a transfer student ready to build the academic foundation to apply for graduate programs to become a school or mental health counselor, school psychologist, researcher, or occupational or physical therapist, you also have come to the right place.

We know that transferring may seem challenging, so we want to help make the process as easy as possible. On this page, we have compiled information and resources for transfer students. Academic advisors will meet with you along the way to make sure your transfer is successful. This is especially crucial because most of our programs require an application for professional admission in February of your sophomore year — academic advisors are here to help you prepare for this, as well. Identify your advisor by major and schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone appointment.

Excited to get involved at the College of Education? Learn about student opportunities.

The program information provided below is for transfer students from in-state Arizona colleges who have completed 60 units, and/or AGEC-A, and/or an associate’s degree. Admission to a College of Education program (when required) is contingent upon admission to the University of Arizona. Ready to apply to the University of Arizona? Begin your application.

For students transferring from any in-state Arizona community college, please follow the How To Transfer steps below to explore your academic options, review coursework and other requirements, and begin the application process. Find the right program for you!

If you are planning to transfer to the University of Arizona in the upcoming year, please schedule an academic advising appointment by identifying your academic advisor based on your major. They are your primary source of support and can help you with enrolling for courses and creating an individualized plan for success! If you are planning to transfer to the University of Arizona in more than one year from now, please schedule an appointment with Coordinator, Angela Botello to learn more about the process for transferring in the future, and to determine the correct major for you.

Skip to Step 4 if you are not planning on selecting any of the majors listed below

The following degree programs require professional admission to the program:

  • Early Childhood Education
  • Elementary Education (ESL and bilingual programs)
  • Mild to Moderate Disabilities (special education teaching)
  • Deaf Studies (education interpreting and non-interpreting)

In order to be eligible to apply for professional admission to the respective program, applicants must meet GPA, volunteer hour, and prerequisite coursework requirements. Additionally, those applying to these programs (except Deaf Studies non-interpreting) must provide a valid Fingerprint Clearance Card (IVP) issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety since they will be placed in local schools with children. Learn how to apply for an IVP.

Transferability of coursework

If you are transferring from an Arizona community college, please refer to our Degree Search transfer pathways, linked below, and select your community college from the dropdown.

Transfer students are encouraged to first apply for admission to the University of Arizona. Please visit UA Admissions to learn how to apply and begin your application for UA admission as a transfer student. Submit your application no earlier than one semester prior to your desired term of enrollment. Please review the application deadlines based on your desired starting semester.

Students who have not yet been accepted into the professional program will enter the College of Education as pre-professional majors and work on general education and business foundation coursework. Many transfer students apply for professional admission during their last semester at a community college, while others transfer to the UA as pre-professional majors and apply to the professional program in a future semester. Speak with your COE advisor about your individual plan.

The professional admission application process is separate from the admission application to the University of Arizona and takes place in February (and September for Elementary Education ESL). To learn more about the professional admissions process, and documentation required to apply, please visit Undergraduate Admission to the College.

Transfer students are required to attend a university-wide orientation program.

Students will be able to RSVP for orientation in their Next Steps Center once dates become available. If you have any questions regarding registering for orientation or the admissions process, please contact the UA Undergraduate Admissions office at 520-621-5293. Before signing up for a mandatory orientation, you must first pay your enrollment deposit, review all necessary information, and complete the to-do items in your Next Steps Center. These two steps activate you for registration (matriculation) so please complete this at least 48 hours before attending orientation.

During orientation, you will learn more about the university, campus resources, involvement and professional development opportunities, and individually meet with a UA College of Education academic advisor to review your previous coursework and register in the appropriate courses. You will not be permitted to register for classes until you attend a mandatory orientation.

If you have additional questions about the UA College of Education, please contact the appropriate advisor based on your major of interest.

Note: Orientation for students completing Pima Community College’s STU 210 is embedded into their coursework.

Transportation options to and from campus are plentiful and include paid campus parking, free Cat Tran campus shuttle, U-Pass for Tucson Transit, bicycle services, and more. Please visit UA Parking and Transportation Services to explore options and set up one that is right for you.

You will also want to explore scholarship opportunities and resources, including specific funding opportunities for future teachers and Scholarship Universe. Learn more about what types of financial aid are available for students at the University of Arizona.

You can access your booklist for required courses by logging in to your UAccess account using your UA NetID and password. Select your current term and click on "Proceed to the BookStore" link below your class schedule.

Finally, begin using and checking your UA Catmail student email to be up-to-date on all UA and College of Education communications. And don't forget to schedule an academic advising appointment by identifying your academic advisor based on your major. They are your primary source of support and can help you with enrolling for courses and creating an individualized plan for success! 

Stay in touch until you’re here!

We encourage you to sign up for the undergraduate listserv. The listserv is a weekly message from the College of Education that gives students information about:

  • Important dates, deadlines, and admission information
  • Opportunities and events that are open to undergraduate students​
  • ​Volunteer and paid positions to gain experience with children