Faculty & Staff
Faculty in the program are well known for their research and teaching in various areas of exceptionality.
- Assistant Professor of Practice Ashley Barkel specializes in education of children and youth with learning disabilities and English Language Learners with an emphasis on writing instruction.
- Professor and Dept Head Carl Liaupsin specializes in developing individualized behavior interventions and single case design research methodology.
- Assistant Professor Jennifer White specializes in reading, writing and math instruction for students with learning disabilities.
- Assistant Professor Adai Tefera specializes in special education policy, disability intersections (e.g., race, socioeconomic status, and language), and research-practice partnerships.
- Professor Rebecca Hartzell specializes in autism and Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Assistant Professor Taucia González specializes in issues of equity and inclusion for racially, ethnically and linguistically diverse students with learning disabilities.
- Associate Professor Sunggye Hong specializes in visual impairments and STEM learning of students with disabilities.
- Assistant Professor of Practice Stephanie McFarland specializes in education of children and youth with severe and multiple disabilities.
- Assistant Professor of Practice Garrison Tsinajinie specializes in visual impairments students and is the director of the visual impairment program.
Christina Rivera specializes in the education of deaf and hard of hearing students. She is the director of the Special Education-Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHH) teacher preparation program and Accelerated Master’s Program.
Toni Sparks specializes in the education of children with mild/moderate disabilities and is the director of the Special Education-Mild/Moderate teacher preparation program.
Faculty of Emerita
- Professor Shirin Antia specializes in education of deaf and hard-of-hearing children and youth.
- Professor Emerita Jane Erin specializes in education of blind and visually impaired children, youth, and adults.
- Associate Professor Todd Fletcher specializes in bilingual and multicultural special education.
- Professor Emerita Nancy Mather specializes in learning disabilities with an emphasis on reading and written language.
- Professor Emerita C. June Maker specializes in the education of gifted children and youth.
- Professor Emeritus John Umbreit specializes in positive behavioral support and behavior analysis.
Featured Faculty of the Month