A minimum of 33 credits of graduate courses is required for this program.
Required core coursework (9 credits)
- TLS 570: Introduction to Educational Research.
- TLS 539: Recent Research on Teaching and Schooling
- TLS 545: Curriculum Theory and Policy
Supporting coursework (24 credits)
Select education specialization or subject matter specialization
- Requires 12 credits of coursework selected from graduate courses in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Sociocultural Studies
- Students are also encouraged to complete at least 6 credits of coursework outside the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Sociocultural Studies, and an additional 6 creditsto be agreed upon with TLS advisor
- Students may take up to 3 credits of independent study and/or 3 credits of workshop courses
Subject matter specialization
- Requires 9 credits of coursework selected from graduate courses in Teaching, Learning, and Sociocultural Studies
- Students must also complete 15 credits of coursework within a content area generally taught in schools (these 15 credits must be approved by the advisor)