SSS-Teacher Prep: Support for Aspiring Teachers
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS)-Teacher Prep Program (referred to SSS-Teacher Prep) is a federally funded program by the U.S. Department of Education that holistically supports our undergraduate students in order to increase our graduation rates and teacher workforce. We work in supporting students who are first-generation college students, low-income, or have a documented disability.
People We Serve
The program is designed to support students who are US citizens or permanent residents and are either:
- First-generation college students (defined as a student who comes from a home where neither parent/legal guardian has completed a four-year bachelor’s degree).
- Come from a low-income household
- Have a documented disability
Services & Benefits
We are here to help you accomplish your goals! Student Services Support for Aspiring Teachers provides holistic support to students from the moment they enter the program through graduation via meetings with professional staff, peer mentors (college students who have been in your shoes), and tutors. We provide one-on-one support for each student by providing the following services (due to COVID — we are operating 100% remotely for the spring 2021 semester):
- Academic tutoring in Math 100, Math 106, Math 302A & B, and other subjects as needed
- Advice and assistance in course selection — we collaborate with your academic advisor(s)
- Assistance in preparing for your certification exams
- Assistance in preparing and applying to teaching jobs
- Information on the full range of Federal student financial aid program and benefits
- Assistance in locating and applying to scholarships
- Assistance in completing the FAFSA and getting your financial aid to disburse
- Discuss financial planning (financial literacy) for college, graduate school, and life after college (making major life purchases, paying back student loans, investing).
- Provide assistance in applying to graduate school and securing funding (learning about different programs, developing a personal statement, CV, securing strong letters of recommendation)
Ready to apply?
Take 10 minutes to fill out our application. Once you fill it out, an SSS staff member will be in touch with you to schedule an intake appointment to talk with you about the program.
Questions? Contact Fatemma Soto-Herrera, our SSS-Teacher Prep director.